HOBY NC West
The HOBY NC West 2017 Seminar will take place from 8:00am Friday, June 9 to 3:00pm Sunday, June 11 at
Wake Forest University *
1834 Wake Forest Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27106
Check out our “News” section for updates.
The HOBY NC West Leadership Seminar Description
The North Carolina HOBY Leadership Seminar is a 3-day leadership program for approximately 100 rising high school juniors held each June in Winston-Salem. HOBY Ambassadors have an opportunity to develop their critical thinking skills, learn about their personal leadership styles, and form an appreciation for community service. They attend panel sessions featuring prominent speakers from our government, businesses, media, and educational communities. They participate in leadership development workshops and activities. HOBY Ambassadors also participate in a community service project and learn how they can lead in service in their own communities. As a result of their experiences, the high school Ambassadors return to their schools and communities eager to make a difference and share what they have learned.
If you are a current high school Sophomore and are interested in attending HOBY, please contact your guidance counselor.
If you are a guidance counselor and interested in registering a student for the seminar, please click here.
Ambassadors will receive a press release at the end of the seminar filled out with the information entered by each Ambassador’s guidance counselor. For some Ambassadors, that information may not be up to date at the time of the seminar. Ambassadors may download the blank Press Release and enter the correct information.
Leadership for Service
The HOBY NC West seminar includes a Leadership For Service component where all Ambassadors will have the opportunity to engage in community service.
Our goals are:
- To inform Ambassadors about the role and impact of community service;
- To facilitate setting short-term community service goals;
- To provide opportunities to connect with community service organizations, and
- To provide documentation of program impact and effectiveness.
During the seminar, we aim to integrate meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
All HOBY alumni are challenged to complete at least 100 hours of community service during the year.
Also connect with us!
* Wake Forest University has no responsibility for the conduct of any program or activity offered by HOBY. Wake Forest functions only as a site for the conference and will provide many of the services specified for the conference such as facilities, food and housing. The University assumes no responsibility for any damage, injury or loss to any person or property, from any cause whatsoever except to the extent such liability results from the sole negligence of Wake Forest.